Thursday, March 3, 2011

2 3/4

These days:

You are as sweet as ever. We had a few weeks back there in November/December that were iffy. You were hard to please and downright defiant. I'm sure another stage will come along, but for now, that one is over. You are huggy and lovey and enjoy snuggles and loves. In general a happy and compliant boy. No less than five times a day you randomly announce, "I just love you, mom (or dad)." We just love you, too.

I am surprised at your verbal skills. We have full conversations. You sometimes say What??with a funny face and tone when you don't know a word or we're throwing too much at you. But for the most part, you know what we're talking about. You have a great memory and can recall conversations or incidents with detail and tell anyone who will listen all about it. You have lines of movies memorized. Recently you looked at me so seriously and said, "I see a dragon and I just have to...kill it, you know? It's just who I am, mom." (How to Train your Dragon - your favorite). Of course, you ask lots of whys. After we get four or five down the list, I can't think of the reasons why anymore.

Things we hear regularly:
"Mom, ask me if I had a good rest."
"Dad, how was work today? What did you play?"
"What are we going to do today? I know what we should do! We should play hide-and-go-seek!"
"How can I help, mom?"
"I need a hug of you."
"I did it all by myself."
"What does that do for?"

You love stories. You want to hear them, read them, and now you tell them. Currently we have a "Super Gavvy" story every day. You love to wear your super cape and be Super Gav or Batman killing monsters, dragons, and witches. It's fun to watch your imagination grow and see you pretend more.

You know what you should and shouldn't do and have a hard time keeping your hands off 'off-limits' items. Right after you've done something that you know we won't like you'll say, "I won't touch that again, mom." We don't even have to say anything and you know. But you still do it. And do it again. It's just hard to resist some things when you're two.

You have been potty trained for several months now and are getting so independent. Last week you got your pants on all by yourself for the first time and said quietly to yourself I'm the best. I was glad that I was close enough to hear that. You can't wait to be 5 so you can go to school and learn your ABCs. No matter the age group, little friends or the 15-year-old kids we work with at church, you mesh into any group and quickly become one of the gang.

You are a good helper and will throw things in the garbage or recycling bin or the hamper. You fetch diapers and keep McKay company and make him laugh if I really need you to. He thinks you are super funny. You love your brother, but lately you tell us to put him across the room on the floor with a toy and then you can have us to yourself. You are learning to share your stuff with him. You get a little freaked out when he starts eating and sucking on your things.

You are a friendly little boy and have lots of "buddies." You often talk about them by name and wonder when we'll be able to play with them again. Neighbors, cousins - you love when we get to visit someone or have them over. You are more obedient and these days you spend less time in time out than in days past. I see you weighing consequences (like getting to 3) and deciding to stop what you're doing.

We do just love you, Gav. I can't believe how big you're getting. If I could freeze you this way right now, I would.

2 comments:

AmyJane said...

I'm really jealous about the potty training. You are officially invited to come potty train Maren when the time arrives.
He's so cute...it is a good age. Three gets hard again, so enjoy it, just in case!

The*Evans*Family said...

Gav, you are the best! We miss you and your whole family like crazy! Come visit.