Monday, July 19, 2010

My Boys

As we got the boys ready for bed tonight, Brian was in Gavin's darkened room singing himRobinhood and Little John and then it was time for our goodnight lullaby, Godspeed. Brian and I sat on the floor, he was playing the guitar and I was changing McKay's diaper and putting on his pajamas. While we sang, Gavin climbed all over my back and happily chattered and sang away while McKay's cries started softly and began to grow. For some reason, this moment with my three boys hit me like a ton of bricks. Here we are trying to calm the boys down - which neither of them seemed to be doing, despite our best efforts - and instead of feeling frustrated that this bedtime routine seemed to be turning to chaos, I felt so happy inside. A crying baby who needs me and a happy boy who wants to be near me and a loving man who is sitting right there helping me with both of them.


That's just what the moment was - perfect. A moment I hope to not soon forget, if ever at all. These moments are fleeting and I know that. I know days aren't perfect. Parenting can be downright frustrating. I know that some days can seem long but I also know that the years will fly by. It's the journey that counts. This is me enjoying the journey.

3 comments:

AmyJane said...

Tears. TEARS! At 9:45 on a Monday morning. Thanks tons, Nat.

No, seriously, thanks for sharing the moment. I love it. I love those freeze time, please let me live in this moment forever moments. It makes me happy to watch you love motherhood as much as I always knew you (and I and everyone) would.

The*Evans*Family said...

I'm all teary-eyed too. Geez. I wonder if my hormones are totally out of whack. I had a very similar moment on Sunday. We went to pick up Carson and Blake after our hospital stay and I burst into tears while we drove home. Matt just smiled. I was just so grateful for my little family. All of us were together for the first time and heading home.

Ann said...

Thanks for the post, I needed that today!