Friday, September 6, 2013

A New Normal

It's getting easier, sending Gavin to school.  I can drop him off and know that he will get in the right door.  He's a smart kid.  He comes home happy with stories and new friends and singing new songs.  I'm so glad that he's happy and I feel that he is learning and remembering stuff.  We're getting into a routine and it's working for us.  I get to exercise, have some McKay time, and Jonah gets a nap.  Things are working out.  And my heart has stopped hurting and thanks to a few Diet Coke's, my crying headaches have gone away.

I'll say this: I wish that I would have been a parent before I was a teacher.  Not really, but I know a lot more this week than I did several years ago.  I know now the trust that parents put into me as their child's teacher.  I know what an important job I had and that parents were leaving their most prized possessions in my hands.  All I want is for Gavin's teacher to tell me he's wonderful.  Does she see in him what I do?  I sure hope I let parent's know how awesome I thought their kids were.  Because I've decided that thinking someone is wonderful and taking good care of them means more than their current reading level.

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Dave and Ashley Blackhurst said...

I've had this same thought a million times over! I wonder how different I would be as a teacher now? Probably not much different, but I do wonder.

Glad your life is getting back to normal. It takes a while after a baby comes;)