Saturday, April 6, 2013

McKay is 3!

Along with the celebration for Brian's birthday, Easter, and Farwells, we were able to celebrate this little guy's third birthday.  I was a little nervous with the baby coming so close and just thought if I could get through this - and make his cake! - that we would be set.  The timing all worked out and celebrate we did.

McKay woke up to streamers on his door and yelled, "It's my birthday!!!"  He was pretty excited.  He wanted cereal for breakfast (easy) and then we let him open one present.  It was a box of plain lego pieces that he and Gavin played with for quite awhile that morning.
He was so excited for his party.  We invited his cousins to join us at Jump On It.  Although I don't have a picture of this active little body, I will never forget his arms and legs repeatedly going out into jumping jack position between each bounce.  He was so so happy!  The hour passed quickly and he was sweaty and smiley.  Mission accomplished!

We headed home for pizza, presents, cake and ice cream.  He got new books from G&G Woolf, dinosaurs and a sticker book from G&G Robinson, a Star Wars lego set, and a doctor kit.  This kid didn't need any help this year!  He's got the present thing down.

McKay wanted a Star Wars cake.  He specifically asked for Anikin and Padme, but I couldn't find a picture of them that I could do.  So I talked him into being ok with Yoda and a Stormtrooper.  Turned out he loved it just the same.

He was happy and sweet and ready to blow those things out.  Gosh, he's gotten big this year!


And just so you know...

My Dear McKay,
You are an important part of our family!  I am so glad that we could celebrate your day and that you were so happy and cute and fun about it all.  I think three is cute.  You are getting so big so fast.

This past year you have learned so much.  I have been impressed with your language skills and how quickly you pick things up.  You and I have been conversing for quite awhile now.  Actually, it seems like most the time we're negotiating.  You have a strong personality with opinions all over the place.  You know what you want and when you want it.  If you don't get it, you certainly let us know.  It's been tricky for us.  We want you to be independent and be yourself yet need to keep you safe and can't always give you what you want.  Dad and I have been talking a lot about what you need and how we need to talk to you or discipline you differently than we did with your brother.  And that's ok.  We are all learning!

Right now, you love:

  • Star Wars.  You love to put on your Jedi costume when the intro music is playing.  You'll stand there and watch Episode II over and over with your 'lightsaver' in your hand.  It's pretty cute.
  • Your trike.  You cruise on that thing!  It makes me nervous because you don't look in the road and I fear you will get crushed.  So I have to keep up with you.  We are going to teach you how to ride a two-wheeler soon!  I think you will catch on quickly!
  • Eating.  I think you would eat all day if I let you.  You wake up and want snacks and treats.  You raid anyone's pantry for food - specifically fruit snacks, since I don't buy those.  It's a little embarrassing.
  • To go to other people's houses to play.  You walk up to their door and leave me and are always sad when I come to get you.  
  • When dad comes home.  You run and jump on him and want to be tickled or bite his ear.
  • To help me cook.  Whenever I'm in the kitchen you pull up the black chair right next to me and want to add ingredients or stir.  
  • Playing Mario Party with Gavin and Daddy.  You sit by Daddy's legs and hold your controller.  My favorite part?  You are always Donkey Kong, who is always the computer really playing, and your controller isn't even plugged in.  And you get sad when you don't win.  "I never win!"  (Insert bottom lip sticking out, shoulders hunched, and head hung low here.)
  • Your gymnastics class.  You are allowed to run and jump and swing and balance and you are really, really good at it.  The teachers were surprised that you were only two when I put you in... You go with Elsa and the teachers laugh and think you are funny.  I hope all of your teachers appreciate your energy - I have a feeling it may become somewhat of an issue??  :)  
You:
  • Sleep in your big boy bed like a champ.  
  • Prefer to take naps in Gavin's bed.  Only an hour or so, but you still need them.  I'm sure it won't last much longer.
  • Can dress yourself and put your shoes on.  You ask me which shoe goes on which foot everyday.  
  • Just learned how to click your carseat buckles.  Thanks for saving me time!
  • Sneak into my car for gum, the cupboard for a marker to draw on your arms and legs with, the cupboards for food, etc. etc.  It's hard to keep up with you.  And you do NOT like hearing the word no.
  • Have no fear.  You jump off high places and by now it's not so alarming to me.  I am certain you will be the first Robinson boy to break a bone or get stitches.  
  • Are very athletic.  You are coordinated, minus those random clutsy falls that all boys your age manage to do for no apparent reason.  
  • Skip all over the place.  Arms flailing, silly tongue stuck out...  You are a little crazy - but fun.  
  • Are a good eater.  You eat tomatoes and lettuce and broccoli and will eat pretty much anything I make.  
  • Love the water.  You wear goggles in the tub and say to Gavin, "I'm goin' in," then you duck your head into the water.  Cracks me up.  
  • Are a parrot.  If you hear it, you will say it.  There are lots of things that I wonder where in the heck you picked it up.  Usually a cartoon or TV show.  My favorite: "I've got a bad feeling about this!"  My least favorite: "It's NOT fair!!"  
I know there is more, but I want you to know how much I love you.  You are a sweet boy with an angelic face and eyes that kill me.  When I look and you and we talk and I'm really listening, I look at those sparkly eyes and see energy and excitement and interest.  You are fun to talk to.  Sometimes I worry that you will get lost in the crowd.  But I know there is a place for you and that you belong here with us.  You're living out loud, little boy.  We love you!

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Dave and Ashley Blackhurst said...

Very cool cake, Nat; not surprised at all because of your mad culinary abilities, but still impressed.