Friday, April 20, 2012

Mornings Like These

Mornings like these don't happen all the time.  Usually while the boys eat breakfast, I can clean up the kitchen and get things put away before they finish.  That's the easy part.  It's the after part that's hard.  I want to pick up other things and look at my computer (a habit I'm sure I need to break) before the day gets started.  After all, it is only 8:00am by this time.  That's when the whining and fighting generally begins.  But today is different.  More important than doing 'my thing,' I can hear them playing forts and campout in Gavin's room.  They are running around like pals - not screaming, not fighting over a toy, and not pinning each other down and hitting or biting.  Just getting along.  And those are the best times.

Just last night I told Brian that I don't want to look back and regret this time.  I don't want to have regrets about not paying enough attention or not being patient enough or not teaching them how to handle themselves well.  Sometimes I don't handle myself well.  I don't want to regret my overreacting about things that don't really matter just because I'm tired.  I lack motivation and energy by midday and wish that I accomplished more than I do.  Sleeping sounds all too enticing by 1:00 and often I give in.  But then we live in a dump, I get grumpy, and the cycle begins again.

So today is a new day.  And I've got a new plan.

1 comment:

chunkymonkey said...

I love, love, LOVE when my kids play nicely together. I hope that is what they remember when they are grown--and that they forget the rest of the day :)