Sunday, May 22, 2011

Women of Steel Triathlon

A few months back, my friend Michelle asked me if I wanted to try a triathlon. Me? Triathlons? Not in my wildest dreams! But once I signed up for it, I got really excited.

In March I took swimming lessons at the AF Rec Center with my friends Alison and Jen. It was amazing how the first day I could swim no more than half a lap without feeling like I was suffocating and eight lessons later, I swam ten laps in a row. My Arizona summer swim team days came back to me and it was a matter of endurance rather than technique.

We dropped the boys off on race day and Brian and I headed over. Alison, Emily and I waited in line forever to get started with the swim. Lots of women were in the wrong time slot and thought they swam faster than they really did. That made it hard when I was trying to pass them and they were walking or using the walls to crawl along. Lesson learned for next time...put myself up in the time zones and just say I swim faster than I do. Then I will be exactly in the right spot...


The bike portion was super fun - I think it's my new favorite sport! Not that I'm super speedy, but it's a total rush biking down hills at high speeds. The run was my weakest - I felt like I was crawling. I'll work on that...

As I crossed the finish line, I felt proud and strong. I am SO glad that I did it and know for sure I will do it again. A perfect first race to get me TRI-ing!

No comments: