Sunday, July 19, 2009

Our baby boy...growing up

I don't think we have a baby anymore. This kid is more and more toddler every day. Just look at this face -- a real boy!

This past month has been so exciting for him. He's learned to walk and there's no stopping him now. Just last week he figured out how to get himself to standing from sitting without holding onto anything. Without any training, he has figured out stairs, different levels of cement (cute little crab walk) and is bravely testing out new terrain. It's like he's always known how to do it. He just needed the chance. He falls 50 times and it doesn't bother him at all. He just gets back up and keeps on going.

He talks to us now...sometimes I feel like one word with him is an entire conversation. It's crazy to think that he actually knows what he's talking about! I know that's how it works, but it still is just fascinating to me. He says "mama" and "dada" and will bang at the door if he knows we're somewhere else. He says "up" when he's done eating or wants to be held and "nana" when he needs his favorite yellow treat. He says "bye-bye" with a wave and has said "hello" a few times. So sweet. I love his little voice. It's still so new that I'm the proudest mama anytime one of these comes flying out.

I love Gavin's interest and curiosity. He recently has developed a love of the outside. Only a few weeks ago we could leave him on a blanket out there in the backyard and know he would stay put -- he didn't want that gross grass feel itching his legs. Those days are long gone. Suddenly each leaf needs to be explored and fun-shaped rocks need to be tasted. Dirt is grabbed and dropped, again and again. Dirt mixed with water from the hose is even better. Only I'm thinking about his fingernails...but I'm quickly getting over that. He finds things out back and carries them around the yard...his treasures. Don't even think about taking them away before he is ready. Not a pretty sight.

I can see we're in a new phase of life. No more holding still for anything - there's just too much to see! I've got to gear up and get some more energy, because that's what it's going to take from now on. Hopefully I've got it, because our little boy is ready to go.

3 comments:

The Daniel Family said...

Got the link to your blog off Raeanns. Your little boy is soooo cute!! Enjoy every minute with him because they grow up far to fast!
Jen

Chelsea's Blog said...

Gavin is adorable. He sounds like he is getting to be more and more fun. I have loved it when my nieces started to walk and talk. They just seem to get more and more cute.

AmyJane said...

He's so freaking cute. I love him and I've never met him. Someday, right? :)
Also, I read several posts down and I have to say, I'm shocked that he's already managing on one nap a day! Kennedy is still going solid on two a day and I even though I'm ready, she's just not ready to switch. Oh, well. It's nice that she takes two but neither is super long and you have to be home twice a day. Anyway, yay for you, and yay for big boy Gavin!