Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Spring Break 2009 - San Diego, CA

Scene 1: Take Gavin to G&G Robinson’s house for a six day stay. So strong while inside. Said goodbye. Not so strong when we got in the car. I wept. Brian kept driving.

Day 1: Flew to San Diego. Drive to sister Anne’s house two hours away. Listened to Wicked. Sang loudly to Ipod. Got carsick in a wretched canyon. Arrived and hugged cute nephew Cohen.


Day 2: Easter Sunday. Went with sis Anne to brother Dave’s (and Rachelle) house in Indio. Ate yummy food. Took pictures of more nephews. Forgot to take one of Anne and Paul. Shoot.

Day 3: Drove to Escondido. Wild Animal Park.

Beautiful sunny day. Free tickets from Brian’s friend. Saw elephants, parrots, vultures, gorillas, snakes, butterflies, tiger, etc.


Decided I’m not in shape - a very hilly park – lots of huffing and puffing. Will work out when I get home. Brian fed birds (lorikeet?) – Natalie just took pictures.

Brian swam in the ocean. It was freezing – he didn’t seem to mind that he was the only one out there. He was like a little kid.

Day 4: Took it easy. Chilly day. Old Town. Best Mexican CafĂ© I’ve ever been to – homemade corn tortillas. Speak to my soul – I haven’t had a tortilla that good in six years! (allergy…) Drove by the temple and to La Jolla. Freezing by now. Went to hotel and flipped between American Idol and Biggest Loser.

Day 5: Sea World! Atlantis rollercoaster – 2x – first thing in the am. Still to cold for everyone else, so line was so short. Saw polar bears, beluga whales, penguins, sea otters, flamingos, sea lions, dolphins, and killer whales. Felt like we were alone in the park – not crowded.

Best part: Brian’s friend from work has a cousin who is a killer whale trainer. Met with her. She let us in training facility – behind those locked gates! Personal chat – answered all our questions. “Do you know how cool/totally unusual your job is?” She does. Watched her in the next show. She was the main swimmer – very talented (and brave!) Afterwards she got us a free table at “Dine with Shamu” dinner. Yummy food. Whale up close. And again, free. So fun. Went home for two hours to rest.


Came back for nighttime dolphin then Shamu show. Way cool. Perfect ending to a sweet day with Bri.

Day 6: Beach. Getting warmer outside, but still chilly. Brian boogy boards. Comes and tells me it’s my turn. So scared. I don’t love the ocean. Fun to look at, awesome to listen to, but NOT fun to be in. Big waves, salty taste, possible sharks. Bri dragged me in. I cried. Later told me he thought I wasn’t going to make it. I calmed down. Boogied three waves and called it day. Scary, but fun 10 minutes. Walked down pier. Got minimal sun. Checked out of hotel and drove to Seaport Village. Ate at a BBQ place across the street. “Great Balls of Fire” scene from Top Gun was filmed there. (Came home and watched movie – confirmed – it was indeed filmed there.) Flew home.

Final scene: Gavin asleep at G&G’s house. Woke him up and he smiled. He remembers! Happy to be home. So happy to see my baby. Sad to feel like I forgot his face (not too much, but just a tiny.)


Best part: Reconnecting with Brian. Nothing else to worry about for six days – no obligations or interruptions—just us. He is still my very favorite person to be around. We have a lot of fun together. Happy five years to us!

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Yes, Happy five year anniversary! I'm glad you two got the chance to get away.

Teri's Life said...

Happy anniversary! I have to admit - after the first time of having Ster spend the night at my mom & dads it was sooooo easy to say byebye for a while! (Of course, the first time I was away from Ster overnight he was 2 1/2 years old!) Good for you and Brian to spend quality time together!

Michelle said...

Sounds like a fun vacation! A much needed break for the two of you!

The Hurst Family said...

Don't you love being married to your best friend. I love it too. RaeAnn

Holly said...

You are sure working hard at this blogging thing. Good for you! Looks like you had a great trip. Gavin looks like he is loosing some of his chub...but still extremely cute!

The*Evans*Family said...

Little getaways are a must! We can't wait to meet up with you guys in St. George!

J and M Lloyd, est. 2004 said...

Nice job on the blog - snapshots and thoughtshots! I'm impressed. And yes, happy 5 years to you. Love ya.

Bart and Krista said...

What a fun trip! I love that you blogged the happenings of your fun time! Your baby is so cute. I can understand the hard time you had leaving him. Happy Anniversary!

AmyJane said...

Wow, you're good! The first time I left Patrick was only for about 72 hours and it was kind of accidental--we were here interviewing for Sean's job and when he accepted it we stayed to find and apartment and such. I think it was easier that way. I thought I was leaving fro less than 24 hours and ir just turned into a few more. I've actually been trying to decide what to do for our five year mark and just realized that it would technically be possible to leave both kids since Kennedy's done nursing--yikes! Can I do it?!?! We'll see.

Anyway, looks like you had a great trip! Happy anniversary!

Ashby said...

Happy Five years! I can't believe that much time has gone by already. Weren't we roommates just yesterday talking about that cute guy {Brian} you had just met?!

Oh, and PS....I'm totally with you on the ocean thing. Between Jaws and that Australian guy getting killed by a sting ray, I am an ocean watcher only. No swimming for me!